[Insight-users] compiling vtk with mingw or free VC++ Toolkit

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Jul 26 09:55:33 EDT 2004

Hi Nic,

A) The VC++ Toolkit from Microsoft lacks components
    needed for building systems such as VTK and ITK.
    In particular is doesn't have:

            1)  nmake
            2)  lib

    Therefore, it cannot build a complex project
    and cannot create a library    :-/

B) Borland Bcc 5.5 is known to work with ITK.
    We have nighly and continous builds with it
    on the Dashboard.

C) ... don't know about mingw...

D) You may want to consider Cygwin as an option.
    This will give you GCC, plus a full fledged
    Unix system inside your Windows system. You
    can download Cygwin for free from

           http://www.cygwin.com/