[Insight-users] About Image Segmentation Strategy Using ITK---asking for suggestions

Yu Long yulong202 at 263.net
Thu Jul 22 05:05:13 EDT 2004

Hi all,

     I have a sequence of human body images which comes from a Chinese Virtual Human Project.( one of them is shown below). I want to segment organs such as gray matter from this image sequence using ITK. But since I have not enough segmentation experience using ITK, I'd like to ask for some suggestions about segmentation methods using ITK. Any suggestion is grateful.

     In my present plan, I want to use the ITK framework to integrate several segmentation methods within ITK to form a hybrid segmentation method. Is my plan feasible? Are there any recommended methods?

     The second question.  Shall I do a Slice-by-slice segmentation in 2D space or directly segment in 3D space? I don't know which strategy is better. As I know, most methods in itk support 3d segmentation.

     The third question.  Shall I segment these images directly in color space or turn them in to gray images first? Some segmentation methods such as levelset methods do not support RGB images, right?

Thanks your suggestions in advance.

Regards,

YU Long

YU Long
College of Hydropower and Information Engineering
HuaZhong Univ. of Sci. & Tech,
Wuhan China
430074
Tel: +86 27 8754 4644