[Insight-users] itkIntTypes

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jul 14 12:16:35 EDT 2004

Hi Michael,

Ah! the joy of open source is
to be able to look a the code  :-)

If you look at the itkIntTypes.h you will find
the definitions of ITK_INT32 and ITK_INT64.

They are

> typedef int       ITK_INT32;
>
> #ifndef _WIN32
> typedef long long   ITK_INT64;
> #endif
>
> #ifdef _WIN32
> typedef long      ITK_INT64;

Which means that your current configuration
of VisualStudio 6.0 is not considering "long"
as a 64 bits integer, and therefore is wasting
your investment in those 64bits of your AMD Athlon
processor.

This is not an ITK issue but a problem with your
configuration of VisualStudio.

You must setup your Visual Studio for building 64
bits applications. Please look at the following link
for instructions on how to setup your Visual Studio 6.0.

http://www.devx.com/amd/Article/21313?trk=Homepage_PN_AMD

Note also that you should get a WindowsXP with support
for 64 bits processors:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

Surprisingly,
    you can get on upgrade from Microsoft *for free*

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx