[Insight-users] Normals of SpatialSurfaceObjectPoint

Martin Magnusson martin.magnusson at aass.oru.se
Tue Jul 13 07:35:47 EDT 2004

I'd like to use ITK for 3D mesh registration, and it seems to me that
the best way to represent a 3D mesh is to have a 1D itk::Mesh with
itk::SurfaceSpatialObjectPoint<3> as its pixel type. (I would like to be
able to specify a normal at each vertex and, additionally, specify
normals for the triangle/polygon faces.)

However, dealing with the normals of a SpatialSurfaceObjectPoint doesn't
seem entirely straightforward. What is the motivation for allowing
SetNormal( CovariantVector ), SetNormal( double, double ), and
SetNormal( double, double, double ); but not SetNormal( Vector )?

What I'm trying to do is to create an itk::Vector<3, double>, set random
values to its elements, normalize the vector and than assign that vector
to a surface point. Doing the same thing with a CovariantVector wouldn't
work, since CovariantVector doesn't support the Normalize() method.

/ martin