[Insight-users] Questions about apodization in the process of registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Jul 7 18:44:39 EDT 2004

Hi Jay,

The ITK image metrics for which this effect is relevant are already
normalized by the number of pixels in the overlapping region.

Those are

     - MeanSquaresImageToImageMetric
     - NormalizedCorrelationImageToImageMetric

If you are concerned about other metrics being subject to such
discontinuities you can verify your hypotesis by simply exploring
a range of the parametric space in a translation transform.

That will give you metric plots like those shown on the SoftwareGuide,

      http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

from those Metric plots you can judge how relevant the eventual
discontinuities may be.