[Insight-users] ITK and managed C++ .NET

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 06:41:11 EDT 2004

> Is wrapping necessary for use with C#?

Well, strictly speaking yes. But why bother with C# when you can do
everything from (managed) C++?
I have a main window which uses C++ forms and vtk renderwindows embedded,
internally I've got a mixture of vtk and itk pipelines, but also on my forms
I've got components and controls I've downloaded which are written in C#.
You can call C# components directly from managed C++, so do all your work in
C++, create assemblies with C++, you can then call these directly from C#.
Ok you can't call the itk pieplines directly from C#, but you can create
your own dll's (assemblies) that encapsulate all your processing using
vtk/itk, then once they're callable from an assembly, you can reference it
from a C# module.

Personally, I'd use C++ and call C# when you need it rather than the other
way around, but that's only my $0.02.

Any jobs going for .Net C+++ vtk/itk people out there :) ?

JB