[Insight-users] Re: 3D Segmentation

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Jul 2 12:57:24 EDT 2004

Hi Alam,

Please read the Section of the SoftwraGuide
on "Edge Preserving Smoothing Filters".

   http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Section 6.5.2, pdf-page 173.

Those filters will be useful for pre-processing
your images  by smoothing them in preparation
for a segmentation algorithm.

If what you want to smooth is the  binary mask
resulting from the segmentation, then you may
find useful the Morphological filter (erosion,
dilation) and the Binary Median filter:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1BinaryMedianImageFilter.html

The BinaryMedian filter works quite well for rounding
up the borders of a segmentation and for filling small
holes.