[Insight-users] how can I make modification to a filter already exists in ITK?

Guorong Wu grwu at sjtu.edu.cn
Thu Jul 1 04:23:53 EDT 2004

hello everyone:
      I am planing to make some improvent to demons algorithms[Thirion 98](Registration/DeformableRegistration2.cxx). Demons algorithm may cause non-uniform deformation field which will oversmooth at the rigion of lower contrast. My modification includes: 1. control the force field smoothing according to gradients by add a weight at each iteration; 2. prevent oversmoothing the deformation field at lower contrast region with statistical model at each iteration.
      So I want write a new filter named ModifiedDemonsRegistrationFilter. I refer to charpter 13 in ITKSoftwareGuide but not quite clear about how to do. Since I only want to make some modification of force field and deformation field which could be computered with original DemonsRegistrationFilter at each iteration, Should I override PDEDeformableRegistrationFilter and DemonsRegistrationFunction and make modification there? And another question, Assuming I have writen the filter, for example, ModifiedDemonsRegistrationFilter.cxx, Should I rebuild ITK to make it work or simply put it at my personal directory? Thanks. Hoping for your reply.

        Guorong Wu
        grwu at sjtu.edu.cn
          2004-07-01

Guorong Wu
The Department of Computer Science and Technology
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
1954 Huashan RD
Shanghai China
200030