[Insight-users] how to reduce the run time of ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Dec 29 08:26:04 EST 2004

Hi Yixun,

1) Yes, Multi-resolution will be helpful.

    There are two types of multiresolution when you are dealing
    with BSplines.

    - Type A: use several resolutions on the BSpline grid

    - Type B: use several resolutions on the image itself

    and, you can combine both types.

    You will find an example on how to use "Type A" multi-resolution
    for BSplines in the file:

      Insight/Examples/Registration/
                DeformableRegistration6.cxx

     The use of "Type B" multi-resolution for BSplines is
     equivalent to what is illustrated in any of the other
     multi-resolutions examples:

      Insight/Examples/Registration/
                MultiResImageRegistration1.cxx
                MultiResImageRegistration2.cxx

2) ITK supports parallel computation on a case-by-case
    basis.  The reason is that not all algorithms are
    suitable for parallelization.

    If you are interested in the efforts on parallel computation,
    you may want to join other ITK users with similar interest.
    As a way to get started, we have created a page for a Working
    Group on parallel computation in the Wiki pages:

    http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Working_Group_Parallel_Computation

Yixun Liu wrote:
> Thank for your reply! Will the multiResolution registration be
> helpful? is the example about
multiresolution regestration based on the BSpline available? Does ITK
support Parallel computation?