[Insight-users] Example on morphological image enhancement

Lino Ramirez ramirez at ece.ualberta.ca
Sun Dec 26 14:13:17 EST 2004

Hello All,

I wrote a small example on morphological image enhancement following an
example I found in the Image Processing toolbox of MATLAB. You can find
the example at

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~ramirez/itk/ImageEnhancement/

The executable and some example outputs using structuring elements of
different sizes can be found at

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~ramirez/itk/ImageEnhancement-bin/

The usage is
MorphologicalImageENhancement.exe inputImageFile outputImageFile radius

where "radius" is the radius of an itkBinaryBallStructuringElement

If you think it could be useful for other ITK users, I would like to
contribute it to ITK. Moreover, in writing the code, I had to implement a
Gray Scale Opening (erosion followed by a dilation) and Closing (dilation
followed by an erosion) (Note: they are no the geodesic ones that are
already implemented in ITK) and a Top Hat (original image – opening) and
Bottom Hat (closing – original image) operations. If you think these
operations should be in ITK, I could try to implement them as filters.

Any feedback about the example will be really appreciated

Have a nice day

Lino

P.S. I also have available the example using the geodesic morphological
filters available in ITK