[Insight-users] Memory Allocation Error in Java

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Dec 14 20:11:28 EST 2004

Hi Evert,

The Java virtual machine has a natural limitation to the amount
of memory made available its processes.

   http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/ergo5.html

You may want to first attempt to increase the memory made available
to your program by the virtual machine.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/java.html

This can be done with the command line options for the "java"
command:

"   -Xmsn

     Specify the initial size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool.
This value must be a multiple of 1024 greater than 1MB. Append the
letter k or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes.
The default value is 2MB. Examples:

        -Xms6291456
        -Xms6144k
        -Xms6m

-Xmxn
     Specify the maximum size, in bytes, of the memory allocation pool.
This value must a multiple of 1024 greater than 2MB. Append the letter k
or K to indicate kilobytes, or m or M to indicate megabytes. The default
value is 64MB. Examples:

        -Xmx83886080
        -Xmx81920k
        -Xmx80m

"

If you still find memory allocation problems, you may want to add a
message to the file:

         Insight/Code/Common/itkImportImageContainer.txx

in line 186 in order to specify how much memory is trying to allocate.

It is likely that some of the signed/unsigned convertions from Java to
C++ is creating a situation where an obscene amount of memory is being
requested for an image.

Please let us know what you find.