[Insight-users] Re: About the Mutual information metric

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Dec 14 09:43:44 EST 2004

Hi Zhimin,

There are actually four different implementations
of the MutualInformation metric in ITK.

For a full list of the image metrics, please look at
the Doxygen documentation:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/modules.html

In particular to:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/group__RegistrationMetrics.html

You will find the following implementations of Mutual Information:

Viola-Wells
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric.html

Mattes
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MattesMutualInformationImageToImageMetric.html

Kullback Leibler
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1KullbackLeiblerCompareHistogramImageToImageMetric.html

Normalized Mutual Information
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1NormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric.html

All of them are based on building an estimation of the Joint Histogram.
What is different among them is the way the joint histogram is
estimated, and how the derivatives of the metric are computed.

If you are interested in developing new metrics related to
Mutual Information we will be happy to add them to the
toolkit.

Please let us know if you have further questions.