[Insight-users] Re: Brain Tumor + Level Set Filter

neha k itkneha1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 14:11:31 EST 2004

Hello Luis,
Thanks for the reply.  I have chanegd interataions to 100.  But with same png image, I get different result (I have used ctr. as(79,93).  The center that you have specified (30,63) seems to be out of brain area.  Also, if i use original raw image, output is blank.  I am not sure what is going wrong.   (I saved original raw image as .png image by making it 8-bits per channel from 16-bit per channel in photoshop , and then sent to you)
Neha.

Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:

Hi Neha,

Thanks for posting your image.

The ThresholdSegmentationLevelSet worked fine in this image,

I used the example code in:

Insight/Examples/Segmentation/
ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetImageFilter.cxx

Just replaced the maximum number of iteration in line 200.

The current value is 1200 iteration,
you must use here 100 iterations.

Then in the command line use

ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetImageFilter
tumor57.png segmented.png 30 63 5 70 207

(in a single command line)

The numbers: 30 63 are respectively the X,Y approximate coordinates
of the tumor center.

The number: 5 is a radius to be used for creating a initial level set
as a circle of radius 5 pixels centered at (30,63).

The numbers: 70 and 207 and the lower and upper thresholds that define
a border for the tumor.

In the future you may find useful to use the interactive application

InsightApplications/
ThresholdSegmentationLevelSetFltkGui

That allows you to set all this parameters interactively and see the
evolution of the level set iteration by iteration.

Note that it is *very* important to monitor/supervise the level set
because if you run it for too few iterations the tumor will be under
segmented, an if you run it for too many, the level set will leak and
start invading other brain structures.

Looking at the level set as it is evolving is the best way to figure
out how many iterations are enough for stopping the level set.

By fine tunning the values of the lower/upper thresholds, the curvature
scaling and the number of iterations you will be able to refine the
borders of the segmented region.

You could also post-process the segmented image with a filter such as
the BinaryMedianImageFilter or the new itkVotingBinaryImageFilter.

Please find attached the PNG image with the tumor segmented from your
image.