[Insight-users] Streaming.. yet again

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Aug 11 18:30:16 EDT 2004

Hi  itk_at_standford

The current implementation of ITK Readers and
Writers does not fully support streaming data.

Due to the particularities of every image file
format, this functionality is something that
can only be implemented in a case-by-case
bases (a 'case' being a fileformat).

Depending on how many more nights and weekends
are you planning to work in this project, you
may want to implement your own reader capable
of honoring the streaming already propagated
by the rest of the ITK pipeline.

In that regards, one option that you may want
to consider is to use a library such as HDF5

     http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/

and build an ITK ImageIO wrapper around it. In
the same way we have created ImageIO wrappers for
JPEG, PNG, TIFF, DICOM, GIPL, GDCM, Analyze,
BMP, VTK, MetaImage and Nrrd.

That will presumably be called

           HDF5ImageIO

HDF5 is free and open source, so is fully in
the bright side. You may want to look at the
HDF5 tutorial

   http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/doc/Tutor/

in particular to the description of Hyperslabs

http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/doc/Tutor/select.html

---

As far as Resampling goes, this is manageable but
you will have to implement a method for mapping
the coordinates of an output requested region in
to the coordinates of the necessary input region.
This could be done by taking the rectilinear regions
reguested at the output of the Resample filter (these
regions are actually requested by your Image Writer)
take the coordinates of the corners and map them
using the Transform into the input image space.
Then find the rectilinear bounding box for those
points. That will be the region to request to your
reader.

Should you engage in the implementation of this
HDF5ImageIO class, we will be happy to assist you
and we will encourage you to contribute it to the
toolkit.