[Insight-users] image pixel type

Christoph Palm christoph.palm at web.de
Tue Aug 3 12:09:29 EDT 2004

Hi Luis,

thanks for your answer. You are absolutely right, that
I have to use a try/catch block to handle such errors.
But that was not my real problem.

To be more precise:
I deal internally e.g. with integer values or double
precision. The user should be free to choose an
output file format like png or tif. I want to write
the image with the lowest possible quantization error.
That means if I know, tif is able to store integer I
wouldn´t have to cast to unsigned char.
Or think about vector images: If png cannot store vectors
I wan`t to tell the user _before_ I try and e.g. give
him/her hints what file format whould be better.

Regards

Christoph

Am Die, den 03.08.2004 schrieb Luis Ibanez um 06:03:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> The program probably aborts because you are not catching
> exceptions as is recomented in the ITK Tutorials and in
> the SoftwareGuide.
>
> Please catch exceptions and print out the descriptions
> they provide regarding the source of the error.
>
> You will find many examples on try/catch blocks in the
> ITK Software Guide.
>

> Regards,
>

>     Luis
>

> -----------------------
> Christoph Palm wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > we deal with different image storage types for input as well as output,
> > for example png, tif, jpeg, mhd, analyze7.5,...
> >
> > My question: where can I find consistent information about the
> > different types and their possible storage capabilites according to
> > pixel type, vectors, color, etc.
> >
> > For example png seems only be able to store images of unsigned char,
> > but it would be very cumbersome to test all combinations out. If
> > I try to store with the wrong pixel type, the program aborts without
> > error message.
> >
> > Thanks for the help
> >
> > Christoph

Dr. Christoph Palm