[Insight-users] Re: gray scale erosion

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Aug 2 23:46:07 EDT 2004

Hi Raghu,

Yes, if your pixel spacing is 0.125mm and you select
and structuring element of radius = 4 pixels then
your structure will be eroded by 2mm.

Note that this is just an approximation since your
strucutre is a digital one, and therefore distances
can not be measured in the classical sense.

If you really have some precision concerns, you should
use the DanielsonDistanceMapImage filter. Compute a
distance map to the complement of your object and then
threshold that map at 2 millimeters.