[Insight-users] itk Mesh smoothing

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:58:57 -0400

Hi Zein,

You can smooth the mesh by using the itkAntiAliasBinaryImageFilter
http://www . itk . org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1AntiAliasBinaryImageFilter . html

That will remove the aliasing artifacts but will not
reduce the mesh size.

At this point there are no decimation methods in ITK,
you may want to look at the decimation options in VTK.

For example
http://www . vtk . org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkDecimate . html

of course that will require to convert the ITK mesh into
a VTK mesh ( you may actually prefer to use the contour
extraction filters in VTK instead of the BinaryMask3DMeshSource).

The best iso-surface extraction filter in VTK is the
http://www . vtk . org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkSynchronizedTemplates3D . html

This will be used by
http://www . vtk . org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkContourFilter . html

You will have to build VTK with PATENTED enabled.