[Insight-users] Displaying series of DICOM Images

Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:46:34 -0400

Hi Thimmaiah,

Please look at :

Insight/Testing/Code/IO/itkDICOMImageSeriesTest.cxx

it looks like

#include "itkDICOMImageIO2Factory.h"
#include "itkDICOMImageIO2.h"
#include "itkImageSeriesReader.h"
#include "itkDICOMSeriesFileNames.h"

int itkDICOMImageSeriesTest(int ac, char* av[])
{

   typedef itk::Image<unsigned short,3>        ImageNDType;
   typedef itk::ImageSeriesReader<ImageNDType> ReaderType;

   itk::DICOMImageIO2::Pointer io = itk::DICOMImageIO2::New();

   // Get the DICOM filenames from the directory
   itk::DICOMSeriesFileNames::Pointer names =
                   itk::DICOMSeriesFileNames::New();

   names->SetDirectory(av[1]); // command line argument = directory

   reader->SetFileNames( names->GetFileNames() );
   reader->SetImageIO( io );
   std::cout << names;

   try
     {
     reader->Update();
     reader->GetOutput()->Print( std::cout );
     }
   catch (itk::ExceptionObject &ex)
     {
     std::cout << ex;
     return EXIT_FAILURE;
     }

   return EXIT_SUCCESS;

}

Once you read the DICOM slices into ITK, you can
use the ITK to VTK filter adaptors availablein

    InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/

           itkImageToVTKImage.h  and .txx

this one converts an itk::Image into a vtkImageData,
that you can pass to a vtkImageViewer2 for visualization.
http://www . vtk . org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImageViewer2 . html

For choosing a directory from a GUI you can use

The File_Chooser in FLTK
http://www . fltk . org/documentation . php/doc-1 . 1/functions . html#fl_dir_chooser

or QFileDialog in Qt
http://doc . trolltech . com/3 . 0/qfiledialog . html