[Insight-users] setting parameters for GaussianBlurImageFunction

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:13:49 -0500

Hi Phillip

This class approximates the Gaussian kernel based
on the value of Sigma and the number of pixels you
select for the Kernel.

The warning you are getting indicates that
for your value of sigma, the number of pixels
in your kernel is insufficient for representing
the Gaussian with acceptable precision.

The way to solve the warning is not to increase
the tolerance on the error, but to increase the
size (in pixels) of the kernel.

For that purpose you can use the method SetExtent():
http://www . itk . org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GaussianBlurImageFunction . html#a6

The reason why the message contains a reference
to "SetMaximumKernelWidth" is that the warming
message is actually printed out by the GaussianOperator class
http://www . itk . org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GaussianOperator . html

The GaussianBlurrImageFunction uses a GaussianOperator
for computing the value of the blurred pixel.

So, simply increase the extent allowed for your kernel.

Note that this will reflect in the computation time since
now you will be computing convolutions with a larger
kernel.

Just out of curiosity:
What is your criteria for selecting the sigma at each pixel ?

What you are doing is in some way a filtering with
variable conductance diffusion. The Gaussian is the solution
of the diffusion equation, and when you apply it with different
sigmas depending on the location, this may be equivalent to
one of the anisotropic diffusion filters existing in ITK.