[Insight-users] RE: Build example problems : ALL_BUILD is not an executable.

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:38:24 -0500

Hi Steven,

This is a very common mistake.

If you look at the projects in your VisualStudio
workspace, you will see a project called

     "ALL_BUILD"

and then, other projects below this one.

Right now, you have selected this project
as the default project to be built in this
workspace.

This "ALL_BUILD" project is provided for your
convenience, with the goal of aggregating all
the other projects and allow you to build all
of them by simply asking to build the project
"ALL_BUILD". This is the equivalent of the
"all" target in a classical Unix Makefile.
This is quite useful in the case of the Insight
and InsightApplications since we can easily have
50 to 100 projects in the same workspace.

Because this ALL_BUILD is just a dummy target,
it doesn't have any executable associated with
it. So, if you try to execute it... well, you
get the error message that you posted.

 > "Please specify the executable file for
 >  the debug session
 >  Executable file name(browser): "

---

The solution is quite simple:

    Right-click on any of the other projects
    in the workspace and select it as "default"
    project. Then you will be able to run the
    executable from the VisualStudio IDE.

----