[Insight-users] Re: Regarding ITK & Qt

Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:48:21 -0500

Hi Sandhya,

There are two examples on who to use Qt and ITK.

They are both in InsightApplications:

1) InsightApplications/QtITK

    This one shows how to adapt ITK Observers/Events
    to Qt Slots/Signals. This demo does not display
    an image at all. It only shows a Qt progress bar
    updated using the progress events from an ITK
    filter.

2) InsightApplications/Auxiliary/QtImageViewer

    This example shows how to visualize an ITK image
    using Qt. The class QtGlSliceViewer is used for
    displaying an image using OpenGL calls.

As an alternative option you could use VTK as
described in the tutorials and display a VTK render
window in the Qt GUI.  This has the advantage of
leveraging all the visualization functionalities of
VTK instead of having to write low level OpenGL code.

There are several classes for connecting VTK and Qt.
You will find a list on Sebastien's link pages

   http://www . barre . nom . fr/vtk/links-classes . html#qt

If you follow this path you will have an application
with ITK, VTK, QT and as connectors you will have
classes for converting ITK images into VTK images,
and classes for displaying VTK windows in a Qt GUI.

Please let  us know if you have any other questions