[Insight-users] building ITK in cygwin (fwd)

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:07:39 -0500

Hi Mary Ann,

When you build ITK in Cygwin you should use a CMake
built for Cygwin, not the CMakeSetup version for Windows.

CMake is actually part of the Cygwin distribution, but
unfortunately the version being distributed is not the
latest one (1.8.2). The version of CMake distributed with
Cygwin may be as old as version 1.4.

You will have to get CMake source code by doing:

  cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at www . cmake . org:/cvsroot/CMake login
(respond with password cmake)

Follow this command by checking out the source code:
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at www . cmake . org:/cvsroot/CMake co CMake

Then update for the release 1.8.2 by doing:

       cd CMake
       cvs update -r Release-1-8-2

Then you go to the binary directory where you want to
build CMake and type

     /home/brennan/src/CMake/configure

(we assume that the source directory where you downloaded
CMake is /home/brennan/src/CMake...)

That will initiate the bootstraping of CMake.
When this is done, you simply type "make" and
CMake will be built.

Now,...since you may have the older version of CMake that
is distributed with Cygwin, you *have to be careful* when
you invoke CMake. You have to make sure that you add the
path to the new location, something like

    /home/brennan/bin/CMake/bin/ccmake

(assuming that the binary directory where you built
  CMake is /home/brennan/bin/CMake).

otherwise you may end up invoking the old version of
cmake that is likely sitting in "/usr/bin/cmake" in
your system.

----

At this point you are ready for configuring ITK.

You should create the binary directory where you want
to build ITK, cd into this directory and from there
you invoke:

/home/brennan/bin/CMake/bin/ccmake  /home/brennan/src/Insight

This will start the 'ccmake' interface where you can
set CMake variables.

In summary,

    When you are using ITK/CMake in cygwin,
    just think "Unix"  :-)

Please let us know if you have any further questions,