[Insight-users] Other image file formats supported by ITK

Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:28:33 -0500

Hi Jennifer,

You are right,

The DICOM ImageIO classes have a Write() method,
but... it is empty    :-)

As you correctly guessed, the methods are there
just for matching the API of the base class.

Note that it is questionable whether is makes sense
or not to write processed images as DICOM files.

About the FAQ entry:
http://www . itk . org/cgi-bin/InsightFAQ/InsightFAQ?req=show&file=faq01 . 007 . htp

It has been updated in order to show DICOM as an
"import" file format. Thanks for pointing this out.

So... in summary:

         You cannot write DICOM files.

However there is a wide range of other image file
formats well suited for medical images. In particular
Analyze, MetaImage and VTK are probably the more flexible
ones.

Please let us know if you have further questions,