[Insight-users] AND/OR operation and structuring element

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 10:33:36 -0500

--------------010900030500080302000304

Hi Radhika,

You can easily create any new pixel-wise filter
by using the Unary/Binary/Ternary Functor filters.

For the OR operation you simply need to create
a Functor object defining the OR operation and
then use it to instantiate a BinaryFunctor filter.

The code for an OR filter is attached.

 From this attached code you can get a AND filter just
by changing one line of code and renaming the filter.

Please let us know if you find any difficulties.

---------------------------------
Radhika Sivaramakrishna wrote:
> Hi Luiz,
>
> Thanks for your earlier responses.
> I had the following questions:
>
> 1) Given two binary masks, what are the available functions to do an AND
> or an OR of these two masks? I see a filter BinaryFunctorImageFilter but
> do not know how to use this.
>
> 2) I want to specify my own structuring element with the mathematical
> morphology filters, which is a 3x3x3 with
> 1's only in the nearest neighbor positions and 0's in the off-diagonal
> places. How do I do this? i.e. I know how to call the standard
> BallStructuring element, but I don't know how to edit it.
>
> Thanks
> Radhika

--------------010900030500080302000304

/*=========================================================================

  Program:   Insight Segmentation & Registration Toolkit
  Module:    $RCSfile: itkOrImageFilter.h,v $
  Language:  C++
  Date:      $Date: 2003/09/10 14:28:43 $
  Version:   $Revision: 1.7 $

  Copyright (c) Insight Software Consortium. All rights reserved.
  See ITKCopyright.txt or http://www . itk . org/HTML/Copyright . htm for details.

     This software is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even
     the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
     PURPOSE.  See the above copyright notices for more information.

=========================================================================*/
#ifndef __itkOrImageFilter_h
#define __itkOrImageFilter_h

#include "itkBinaryFunctorImageFilter.h"
#include "itkNumericTraits.h"

namespace itk
{

/** \class OrImageFilter
 * \brief Implements the OR logical operator pixel-wise between two images.
 *
 * This class is parametrized over the types of the two
 * input images and the type of the output image.
 * Numeric conversions (castings) are done by the C++ defaults.
 *
 * Since the logical OR operation is only defined in C++ for integer
 * types, the images passed to this filter must comply with the requirement
 * of using integer pixel type.
 *
 * The total operation over one pixel will be
 *
 *  output_pixel = static_cast<OutputPixelType>( input1_pixel | input2_pixel )
 *
 * Where "|" is the boolean OR operator in C++.
 *
 * \ingroup IntensityImageFilters  Multithreaded
 */
namespace Functor {

template< class TInput1, class TInput2=TInput1, class TOutput=TInput1 >
class OR
{
public:
  OR() {};
  ~OR() {};
  inline TOutput operator()( const TInput1 & A, const TInput2 & B)
  {
    return static_cast<TOutput>( A | B );
  }
};

}
template <class TInputImage1, class TInputImage2, class TOutputImage>
class ITK_EXPORT OrImageFilter :
    public
BinaryFunctorImageFilter<TInputImage1,TInputImage2,TOutputImage,
                         Functor::OR<
  typename TInputImage1::PixelType,
  typename TInputImage2::PixelType,
  typename TOutputImage::PixelType>   >

{
public:
  /** Standard class typedefs. */
  typedef OrImageFilter  Self;
  typedef BinaryFunctorImageFilter<TInputImage1,TInputImage2,TOutputImage,
                                   Functor::OR<
    typename TInputImage1::PixelType,
    typename TInputImage2::PixelType,
    typename TOutputImage::PixelType>
  >  Superclass;
  typedef SmartPointer<Self>   Pointer;
  typedef SmartPointer<const Self>  ConstPointer;

  /** Method for creation through the object factory. */
  itkNewMacro(Self);

protected:
  OrImageFilter() {}
  virtual ~OrImageFilter() {}

private:
  OrImageFilter(const Self&); //purposely not implemented
  void operator=(const Self&); //purposely not implemented

};

} // end namespace itk

#endif

--------------010900030500080302000304--