[Insight-users] FEM Deformable Registration versus Demons Registration

Lydia Ng lng at insightful . com
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:30:47 -0800

Hi Corinne,

> - What is the advantage of the FEM Deformable Registration over the
> Demons Registration (at the moment I get much better results with the
> demons algorithm)?

Not being an expert in FEM - I can only provide some high-level info.

FEM should be a much more powerful mechanism, potentially allowing
multi-modality registration, the ability to define and model mechanical
property of a material and the ability to allocate node points wherever =
you
want.

Demons algorithm, on the other hand, computes the field on a fixed grid =
and
"elasticity" is added externally by Gaussian smoothing the field between
iterations. Further, you have to make sure that intensity between the =
images
is matched. I.e. pixels corresponding to the same physical point have =
the
same intensity on both images.

Having said that, demons has been successfully used for inter-subject
registration for MRI brain images. For example,

B. M. Dawant, S. L. Hartmann, J.-P. Thirion, F. Maes, D. Vandermeulen =
and P.
Demaerel, "Automatic 3-D Segmentation of Internal Structures of the Head =
in
MR Images Using a Combination of Similarity and Free-From =
Transformations:
Part I, Methodology and Validation on Normal Subjects", IEEE Trans. on
Medical Imaging, vol. 18, no. 10, pp 909-916, 1999.

Further, several groups have reported successful usage of ITK =
implementation
for the same purpose.

So depending on your application, demons might be adequate for your =
needs.

- Lydia