[Insight-users] about TPS and EBS

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 11:21:06 -0500

Hi Zhangzhijun,

ITK ThinPlateSpline and ElasticBody splines are implemented
using a common framework under the class itk::KernelTransform.

This classes have not been optimized for speed yet.  So, it expected
that VTK's version could be running faster.  We are interested in
pushing performance to the same level anyways      :-)

However,
1) The numerical results should be the same between itk and vtk
2) The time of execution for itk::TPS and itk::EBS should be the
    same because the Point transformation is done by a common
    code in KernelTransform. If you found EBS to be slower than
    the TPS... there should be a problem with the code or with the
    use of the class.

Did you made this comparison in a compact application that you
could send to us ?

Otherwise we can make some tests in our side in order to identify
time consumption. One of the suspect things done in KernelTransfom
is the common extraction of submatrices from the WMatrix, which
can be a costly operation.

I'll look in to that.