[Insight-users] Roadblocks of using ITK in practice

Will Schroeder will . schroeder at kitware . com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 06:51:20 -0400

Hi Jarek-

Thanks for the feedback, as Bill says the timing is good. I have a question
about your proposal:

At 08:42 AM 6/11/2002 -0700, Jarek Sacha wrote:
>. ITK is
>missing a base non-parametric image class. This class should allow
>querying information about an image like its pixel type, dimension, size,
>etc. This information could be used to execute a version of a pipeline
>that matches image typew without need of conversion. The solution to this
>problem is relatively simple: add a base non-parametric image class for
>ImageBase<> (or even better make ImageBase non-parametric by dropping
>dimension as a template parameter). I
>I would strongly advocate addition of non-parametric base classes to ITK.
>This would help in creation of practical medical image analysis
>applications. It would also help to resolve some of other ITKs issues like
>wrapping in other languages or creation of more robust image I/O module.

If a non-parametric image class is added, how do you see modifying the
templated filters to process such a base class? I have some ideas but
rather than taint yours, I'd like to hear what you have to say first.

Thanks,
Will