[Insight-users] 3D rigid image registration

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez@kitware.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:44:51 -0500

Hi Steve,

1. MutualInformation is the best approach for
    multimodal registration. Since you are using
    the same image modality, you have the choice
    of using other image metrics.

    You may want to take a look a "PatternIntensity"
    which has been reported to be one of the most
    effective by Hawkes et al.

    MutualInformation should still be capable of
    registering same modality images anyways and
    compared to the other metrics will be much
    shorter computing times.

    Lydia added recently a variant of MutualInformation,
    It is called "MattesMutualInformation" and could
    also be an option to try.

    In any case, only experimentation with your
    particular kind of images will give the definite
    response to what metric is the best.

2. The data file for running the MultiResMIRegistration
    is explained in detail in the PDF file available in
    the same directory

  /Insight/Applications/MultiResMIRegistration/ReadMe.pdf

     input sample files are available on the subdirectory:

/Insight/Applications/MultiResMIRegistration/SampleInputs

     for example:
                     PracCTtoT1.txt
                     PracPETToPD.txt

Please let us know if you have further questions,