[ITK-dev] Naming inconsistency in ITK HDF5 lib in Debug and Release

Seun Odutola seun at rogue-research.com
Fri Oct 21 09:24:54 EDT 2016

Hello,

   I'm currently trying out the latest on ITK master and on successfully building/ installing and compiling my project (see my other post on "H5pubconf.h missing during installation (ITK master)”) all seems to work but only after a slight tweak. The tweak was necessary because I realised that the generated lib for hdf5 in both debug and release mode were named differently compared to the other libs. In Debug, all libs are named accordingly libITK... or libitk… ending with .a except that of libitkhdf5_cpp_debug.a & libitkhdf5_debug.a, whereas in Release it’s not the case as they are named libitkhdf5_cpp.a & libitkhdf5.a. It’s worth mentioning that the latter was how the libs were named prior to me updating my ITK to 4.11 (on master) which made linking against these libs easier in my case as I had only to provide the names in my configuration file without having to distinguish between debug or release. In a nutshell, why is this the case with HDF5, is this another one of ITK installation bugs or is this deliberate for some reason if so can someone explain why, thanks.

Regards,
  Seun