[ITK-dev] help itk::GDCMImageIO / itk::ExposeMetaData

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Tue Sep 16 13:28:20 EDT 2014

Kent,

A long time ago, when I was working on IO streaming, I had modified the ImageSeries reader to populate the metadata dictionary on the GenerateOutputInformation phase of the pipeline. This ended up getting called 2 or 3 times, and it caused a significant performance penalty with the GDCM meta-data that the Slicer folks loudly complained and it was fixed [ likely here 1].

I have doubts about your assumption that there are not significant computation expenses with metadata IO. However I am not quite certain if my experience is relavent to this issue.

just an FYI,
Brad

[1] https://github.com/InsightSoftwareConsortium/ITK/commit/e92d78ee3b26069d3aeb6aa9f6460a46f20ec2de