[Insight-developers] Profiling - missing something with gprof

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Mon May 20 22:15:04 EDT 2013

Hi,
I am probably making a foolish error, but I can't see it at the moment. I
have a simple filter that deals with an unusual pixel type that I'm
attempting to profile. The pixel type is a quaternion, the structure for
which is defined in some c++ templates that are publicly available. The
operations were taking longer than expected, hence the profiling. My
problem is that the function names showing up as been called lots of times
from my ThreadedGenerateData method are wrong - i.e. my command line
handling is showing as being called thousands of times from inside my
filter, which isn't happening. Previously this kind of issue has related to
not building all the components with profiling enabled (-pg with gcc 4.7.0
under linux). However as far as I can tell I have all the points enabled
(CMAKE_C_FLAGS, CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS, CMAKE_EXE_LINKER_FLAGS,
CMAKE_MODULE_LINKER_FLAGS in ITK master branch and on my project), and
verbose output confirms that compiling and linking both have the switch.
I've set my number of threads to 1. I'm not using shared libraries (apart
from maths and c libraries).

Is there anything obvious I'm missing. Is there something likely to be
available on a shared linux machine that I should use in preference?

Thanks