[Insight-developers] GCC 4.8 support?

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 17 11:04:49 EDT 2013

CLang is the official compiler on OS X. CLang has supported Blocks for
years, because Apple has been a big component of the CLang community.
Intel may do an OS X compiler as well, but I haven't used it.

Apple no longer bothers with GCC at all, because they can't abide by GPL3.

You can compile GCC 4.7 (and probably 4.8) on OS X, but you can't compile
anything that includes a system header that uses the Blocks extension.
There are apparently no plans to add Blocks to GCC. Their rationale is
that C++x11 lambda expressions cover the same territory -- sort of.

This means GCC is no longer a general purpose compiler on OS X.  But since
the Gnu people aren't crazy about Apple and vice versa, this won't change
unless someone comes up with an unofficial Blocks patch for GCC that works.

On 7/17/13 9:52 AM, "Bradley Lowekamp" <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:

>URL of Gcc 4.8 patches:
>
>http://review.source.kitware.com/#/q/status:open+project:ITK+branch:master
>+topic:GCC4.8,n,z
>
>The gcc 4.7 for OSX is a custom compiled version of the source with out
>the Apple customizations? Is apple's clang not working for you
>applications any more?
>

>On Jul 17, 2013, at 10:27 AM, "Williams, Norman K"
><norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu> wrote:
>
>> URL of patches?
>>
>> By the way, on OSX while you can build GCC 4.7 (last version I tried),
>>and
>> you can build ITK with it, it's no longer a viable option for any sort
>>of
>> GUI programming.
>>
>> The reason is this: You can't build VTK because Apple system headers
>>use a
>> Objective-C/C++ feature (Blocks) that GCC doesn't handle.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocks_(C_language_extension)
>>

>> --
>> Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
>>

>> On 7/17/13 8:49 AM, "Bradley Lowekamp" <blowekamp at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am seeing a couple of nice patches come through to help with gcc 4.8
>>> support. How close are we to saying that ITK 4.4.1 will support gcc
>>>4.8?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Brad