[Insight-developers] ImageIO Handling of Multi-Image datasets

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 1 16:12:17 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I'm working on a Bio-Formats / ITK bridge that invokes Bio-Formats (SCIFIO)
Readers by piping commands from C++ to Java.

 I'm having some issues with multi-image datasets. I have a file that
contains 580 2048x2048x11 images. If I use a pure Bio-Formats conversion
tool, the images are merged as a single image with 580 T slices.

 First of all, how should an image like this be represented in ITK? My
assumption is as a VectorImage type and not by using the
ImageSeriesReader.. as the latter says it needs multiple files, and I have
multiple series in a single file.

 Given the proper data structure for this dataset, how do I actually
determine (or set) the appropriate series size parameters?

e.g. if I do have a VectorImage does its size have to be declared to even
make a Reader/Writer, or is there some way I can set it from my ImageIO
during the ReadImageInformation call?

... or if I do have to explicitly declare the size, how can the ImageIO
tell which series is currently being queried during ImageIO::Read/Write, so
I can pass that series parameter to a Bio-Formats Reader?

Thanks,
Mark