[Insight-developers] Research Associate & Scientific Developers in Medical Image Analysis & Modelling - University of Sheffield, UK

Alejandro Frangi a.frangi at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 17:00:21 EST 2012

Dear colleague

I would appreciate if you could circulate the following pre-announcement
among your closest collaborators and suggest they approach me with their CVs
in case they would be interested in applying. We will be opening a formal
application process in one or two months and posts will be starting in March
2013.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

First Announcement: Research Associate & Scientific Software Developer
Openings in image computing/modelling, Sheffield, UK

CISTIB Center for Computational Imaging & Simulation Technologies in
Biomedicine

INSIGNEO Institute for in silico Medicine

The University of Sheffield

The INSIGNEO Institute for in silico Medicine is an initiative between the
Faculty of Engineering and the Faculty of Medicine at the University of
Sheffield and the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust. INSIGNEO
will realise the scientific ambition behind the Virtual Physiological Human
(VPH), producing a transformational impact on healthcare. INSIGNEO performs
cutting edge research in areas of fundamental and applied biomedical
modelling, imaging and informatics. It will pursue the research agenda of
the VPH initiative; in particular, in the first five years it will focus on
the Digital Patient, In Silico Clinical Trials, and Personal Health
Forecasting. It will achieve transformational impact on healthcare through
multidisciplinary collaboration in strategic areas, which initially will
include personalised treatments and independent, active and healthy ageing.

The Center for Computational Imaging and Simulation Technologies in
Biomedicine (CISTIB) at the University of Sheffield is part of INSIGNEO.
CISTIB focuses on algorithmic and applied research in the areas of
computational imaging, modeling and simulation. CISTIB is working in
different areas of medical image segmentation, anatomical modelling,
statistical shape analysis, tissue characterisation and image-based
personalized computational modelling in the cardiovascular, musculoskeletal
and neurological domains. The centre hosts academic members from the
University of Sheffield and collaborators at the Universitat Pompeu Fabra,
Barcelona, as well as research fellows, research associates, PhD Students
and scientific software developers forming a cross-disciplinary team of
biomedical engineers, computer scientists, electrical engineers, mechanical
engineers, physicists, and mathematicians.

The main objective of CISTIB is to contribute to the development of
technologies for advanced screening, diagnostics, interventional guidance
and therapy planning of cardio- and neurovascular diseases as well as
growing activity in the musculo-skeletal system. Converging technologies
such as computational imaging, computational physiology and virtual
implantation of medical devices are integrated with state of the art
multimodal acquisition systems to achieve an enhanced interpretation of
human physiology and pathology and supply integrative approaches for in
silico medical device customization, optimization and image-based efficacy
assessment. Core technologies include spatial and temporal image
segmentation, non-rigid image registration, multimodal image fusion, pattern
recognition, statistical shape analysis, multi-view geometry, image-based
tissue property estimation, tissue deformation quantification, computational
geometry, image-based mesh generation, computational fluid dynamics and
electro-mechanical simulation.

CISTIB fosters basic and applied research and promotes technology transfer
to industry. It participates to a number of national and international
research projects funded by the European Commission, and holds
collaborations with several national and international companies. CISTIB
also very close cooperation with clinical centers at the local level and
worldwide and has a strong clinically-oriented translational vision.

Call for prospective candidates

This is a pre-announcement of upcoming R&D positions. A couple of new
exciting projects have been awarded to CISTIB and will start in early 2013.
Both projects are funded by the European Commission and involve multi
partner consortia with a combination of academic, clinical and industrial
partners across Europe. Projects are related to patient-specific
musculoskeletal and brain modelling in the context of paediatric diseases
and dementia syndrome. We are receiving expressions of interest of
prospective candidates for upcoming positions as Research Associates and
Scientific Software Developers. We seek proactive and talented individuals
with proven track record of publications in leading international journals
and conferences. Candidates must hold a PhD degree and have expertise in the
area of interest. Background or strong interest in biomedical engineering
and proficiency in spoken and written English is expected.

The candidates will have to demonstrate expertise in one or various of the
following areas of computational imaging and modelling:

-          Non-rigid image registration: we are seeking individuals with
experience in non-rigid image registration with application to brain,
musculoskeletal, cardiac and vascular registration of multimodal imaging.
Experience in advanced registration techniques for volumes and surfaces,
diffeomorphic registration approaches, statistical deformation analysis,
biomechanically-based non-rigid deformations are desired.

-          Diffusion tensor image processing: we seek for candidates with
experience in tensor-based image processing, diffusion tensor image
analysis, connectivity analysis, fibre tracking, statistical modelling of
fibre tracks, tensor processing. Strong background on mathematics and
computing are required. We are seeking to characterise tissue anisotropy so
as to be integrated in personalised models of brain biophysics.

-          Statistical shape modelling and image analysis: we are seeking
candidates with expertise in statistical shape and appearance models
interested in developing 3D and 3D+t multi object and multi resolution
approaches for cardiovascular and musculoskeletal image segmentation and
shape analysis.

-          Image-based brain tissue elastography: we are looking for
researchers with track record in soft-tissue mechanics and image analysis
experience to develop novel ideas of image-based tissue elastography based
on new MR-based imaging. In particular, we are interested in recovering
brain tissue elastic and poroelastic properties. Methods will be generic so
as to be applied to other soft-tissue domains like cardiac and vascular
tissues.

-          Subject-specific biophysically-based simulation of brain MRI in
dementia: we are looking for researchers with experience in MR image
formation and reconstruction as well as on MRI simulators. We aim at linking
biophysical models of brain tissue degeneration with MRI intensity modelling
through machine learning. Our aim is to understand how chronic biophysical
conditions may influence image appearance in dementia patients so as to
develop image-based biomarkers underpinned by mechanistic understanding of
tissue degeneration.

-          Modelling of circadian and lifestyle physiological changes: we
are seeking an outstanding candidate with background in signal processing
and modelling to develop circadian and lifestyle models of physiological
signal variability based on pervasive sensing and monitoring. The goal is to
utilise the derived models to establish personalised and lifestyle-specific
boundary conditions for image-based patient-specific biophysical models. The
ideal candidate will have substantive expertise in control theory, signal
processing, system identification and physiological modelling.

-          Scientific software developers: we are seeking scientific
software engineers that will be providing services and expertise relating to
the development of codes and software applications used by CISTIB
researchers. The team works with researchers across the group to develop
best practice for research programming. They will have a key role in
furthering the development of the framework and clinical software prototypes
based upon GIMIAS, our open source framework (www.gimias.org), and our
computational imaging libraries, the CISTIB Toolkit.

We are interested in individuals with excellent communication and leadership
skills, able to work in a multidisciplinary and international team and
contribute to the visibility of the centre in the international scientific
community. The ability to interact with other disciplines is essential. The
candidate will cooperate with members of the lab working on related topics
as well as with our collaborators at several academic institutions in UK and
across Europe. If you feel you qualify and would be interested in applying
for one of these positions, please, send your CV for an informal discussion
to Prof Alejandro Frangi a.frangi at sheffield.ac.uk with CC to Dr Zeike Taylor
(z.taylor at sheffield.ac.uk) and Dr Alberto Marzo (a.marzo at sheffield.ac.uk).

Alejandro F. Frangi

Professor of Biomedical Image Computing

Center for Computational Imaging & Simulation Technologies in Biomedicine
(CISTIB)

INSIGNEO Institute for In silico Medicine

The University of Sheffield

Sir Frederick Mappin Bldg, Mappin St, S1 3JD Sheffield, United Kingdom

T:  +44  114 2220153 | E:   <mailto:a.frangi at sheffield.ac.uk>
a.frangi at sheffield.ac.uk  | W:  <http://www.cistib.org/afrangi>
www.cistib.org/afrangi