[Insight-developers] New developer -- would an implementation of steerable filters for edge and curve detection be helpful?

Deepak Roy Chittajallu cdeepakroy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 12:01:26 EST 2012

Hello Everyone,

I recently joined the insight developers list.

I really like ITK and have found it quite useful in my past research. I now
intend to contribute to it as a developer.

Can some one tell me how to go about contributing new features into ITK?

Do you guys have a list of "TODO features" anywhere from which i can take
up one?

I was looking around to see what features are missing in ITK, and i found
that the following two would be a nice addition:

--- Higher-order Steerable gaussian filters for robust edge and curve
detection (both uniscale and multiscale) as described in the following paper

Jacob, M., & Unser, M. (2004). Design of steerable filters for feature
detection using Canny-like criteria. *IEEE Transactions on **Pattern
Analysis and Machine Intelligence, **26*(8), 1007-1019.

--- Image segmentation based on random walks as described in the following
paper:

Leo Grady, "Random Walks for Image Segmentation", IEEE Trans. on Pattern
Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 28, No. 11, pp. 1768-1783, Nov.,
2006.

Any opinions on whether these features would be a useful addition?

Regards,

Deepak Roy Chittajallu, Ph.D.in CS,
Postdoctoral Research Scholar,
Laboratory of Computational Cell Biology
Harvard University - Medical School,
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
E-mail: cdeepakroy at gmail.com