[Insight-developers] GDCMImageIO crashes in CanReadFile! (ITK-2857)

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 15 15:51:20 EDT 2012

I'm trying to clear some of my longstanding ITK Jira tickets and started
looking at this:

https://itk.icts.uiowa.edu/jira/browse/ITK-2857

I verified that this is in fact a real problem.  Furthermore the problem
is this: GDCMImageIO::CanReadFile tries to read the file with the GDCM
library, and the reader gets way too far into reading the file before an
assertion fails and it crashes.

In other words GDCM Library Seen As Harmful.

I'm going to try and find a way to sniff a DICOM file that doesn¹t involve
making the GDCM library cause assertion failures, but if anyone already
knows how to do this don't hesitate to speak up!

Kent Williams norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu