[Insight-developers] compilation error with msvc 8.0

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Jun 19 09:33:43 EDT 2012

On 06/19/2012 05:04 AM, thiago.oliveira at istb.unibe.ch wrote:
> 1>------ Build started: Project: gdcmDSED, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
> 1>gdcmVR16ExplicitDataElement.cxx
> 1>c1xx : fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: '..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\ITK\Modules\ThirdParty\GDCM\src\gdcm\Source\DataStructureAndEncodingDefinition\gdcmVR16ExplicitDataElement.cxx': No such file or directory

I just configured and my gdcmDSED.vcproj file has full paths in it.
Furthermore the build works.  Look at that file in your build tree:

 d:\Libraries\CrisalixGit\ExternalProject\ITK-build\Modules\ThirdParty\GDCM\src\gdcm\Source\DataStructureAndEncodingDefinition

with a text editor.  Do the RelativePath="" attributes have full
or relative paths in them (ignore the fact that that the name of
the attribute has the word "Relative" in it)?

Since I can't reproduce this you'll have to build your own CMake
with Debug symbols.  Then look for "RelativePath=" in the
Source/cmLocalVisualStudio7Generator.cxx file and set a breakpoint
nearby.  Run CMake with the argument

 d:\Libraries\CrisalixGit\ExternalProject\ITK-build

and trace to see why it chooses a relative path.

AFAIK the treatment of relative paths remains the same even in VS 11.
The above names are combined as

 d:\Libraries\CrisalixGit\ExternalProject\ITK-build\Modules\ThirdParty\GDCM\src\gdcm\Source\DataStructureAndEncodingDefinition\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\..\ITK\Modules\ThirdParty\GDCM\src\gdcm\Source\DataStructureAndEncodingDefinition\gdcmVR16ExplicitDataElement.cxx

which is 260 characters long, over the 250-ish limit.

-Brad