[Insight-developers] Proposal: Should the September release just but a 4.2.1 patch?

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Mon Jul 23 11:54:45 EDT 2012

Matt,

Forgive me for not knowing but, why is keeping the minor release schedule important?

In my view spending time to fix things that are not working to give the community that we are improving stability is important. Many discussion on patch releases vs minor releases, boil down to give the impression of stability or innovation.

From my personal usage, I would like a stable release version of ITKv4 installed on some systems for some scientists to use. I don't think that 4.2 is it yet. And unfortunately its not uncommon, for a release to contain a couple of bug that require a patch or two. In some situation stability is good. While when I want the latest features I frequently can pick a specific commit near master, that is suitable.

Additionally, I don't think that both can really be done in the next 60 days, so I suggested just doing the patch.

Brad

blowekamp at mail.nih.gov