[Insight-developers] Superbuild for ITKWiki Examples

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 15:36:01 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> David and hans,
>
> I have checked in a Superbuild directory for the ITK Wiki Examples. It
> builds the proper ITK and VTK with recommended options.
>
> For a fresh clone do:
>
> git clone git://gitorious.org/itkwikiexamples/itkwikiexamples.git
> ITKWikiExamples
> mkdir ITKWikiExamples-Superbuild
> cd ITKWikiExamples-Superbuild
> cmake ../ITKWikiExamples/Superbuild
>
> For an update do:
> cd ITKWikiExamples
> git pull
> cd ..
> mkdir ITKWikiExamples-Superbuild
> cd ITKWikiExamples-Superbuild
> cmake ../ITKWikiExamples/Superbuild
>
> If this looks reasonable, I'll update the Wiki instructions.
>
> Bill

Awesome - everything built for me on the first try.

My only comments:

- The clone command line broke (presumably when you copy/pasted, or
the email width broke it). It should be a single line in the
instructions:
 git clone git://gitorious.org/itkwikiexamples/itkwikiexamples.git
ITKWikiExamples

- Since it is completely automated, maybe we should add a
superbuild.sh with your exact commands:

superbuild.sh (or install.sh?, etc)
--------------------
git clone git://gitorious.org/itkwikiexamples/itkwikiexamples.git
ITKWikiExamples
mkdir ITKWikiExamples-Superbuild
cd ITKWikiExamples-Superbuild
cmake ../ITKWikiExamples/Superbuild

so that it is a "one line" install. Similarly an 'update.sh' could be
created with your update instructions. Of course people are free to
manually run the mkdir/cd/cmake etc with a custom build directory, but
it is always great when you can download something, look at the
readme, and run ./install and it "just works".

- It should be noted that the examples executables end up in
ITKWikiExamples-Superbuild/ITKWikiExamples-build/bin

Nice work!

David