[Insight-developers] DimensionType

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Thu Apr 26 12:56:12 EDT 2012

Hello,

I left a comment on this issue in gerrit, but it is a bit far back in the history now so I'll post it here:

I'd prefer consistant unsigned int usage as opposed to inconsistent usage of this typedef.
I don't believe it is reasonable to go through all of ITK to make this consistent. I think at minimal Common/Core should use these kind of best practice. Even after all off the ITKv4 effort we are still finding many places where SizeType is not being used as it should be.

Brad

On Apr 24, 2012, at 8:05 PM, Matt McCormick wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This patch set is of broad interest:
>
>  http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/5299/
>
> It proposes adding a new typedef to itkIntTypes.h, "DimensionType".
> This typedef is to be used for image dimensions, etc, where as-of-yet
> the raw 'unsigned int' is usually applied for image dimensions.  By
> adopting this typedef, we can make the code more readable.  And, at
> some point in the future, we will have the ability to easily change
> its type if desired.
>
> Matt

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

Bradley Lowekamp