[Insight-developers] Reducing CTest Output

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Tue Oct 4 09:30:02 EDT 2011

On 10/3/2011 5:13 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
> Dave,
>
> This is great.
>
> Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control
>
> The discussion on the list has been valuable (Define);
>
> I hope you were able to get some timing tests to establish a baseline
> (Measure). We will want to compare once I complete my improvement
> step.

This is somewhat difficult to do.  There are many variables involved.
The DB gets slower as it gets bigger.  So, just stuffing a bunch of
tests into an empty DB and timing them does not necessarily give a
realistic picture.  I think we will have to instrument the CDash code
some to capture some of this information.  Server load also has an
effect. However, from a standpoint of it takes longer to process more
data, then shrinking the size of the data is always a good idea.

We can of course time the processing on a single machine.  We can do a
before and after for the same number of ITK tests.  I expect there will
be speed up with reduced size, but it may not be reflected exactly in
the running CDash.

> I've started to Analyze the results.
>
> As I mentioned before, just by fixing errors in 3 tests I reduced the
> output by about 1.5 million characters, a 7% reduction (Improve).
>
> I expect I can do much better.
>
> I'll summarize the results on a wiki page once I finish the analysis.

Thanks.

-Bill