[Insight-developers] Get vs. Compute

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sun May 29 10:13:39 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Nick Tustison <ntustison at wustl.edu> wrote:

> Thanks, Luis, for the explanation.  I ask not for anything specific, just
> was curious about guidelines.
> On May 29, 2011 9:04 AM, "Luis Ibanez" <luis.ibanez at kitware.com> wrote:
> > Hi Nick,
> >
> > Is this for a Filter-like class ?
> > or for a Calculator-like class ?
> >
> > In a Filter, you may want to stick to using "Get" only
> > to return values of (or references to) member variables.
> >
> > In a Calculator, we have used "Get" in the past to do
> > both : trigger the computation, and return the outcome.
> >
> > Note also, that now that the DataObjectDecorators
> > are available, there is less motivation for having
> > "Calculator" classes, and we could always have
> > "Filter" classes, since their output can now be
> > simple data types (decorated as objects).
> >

> > Luis

Are these explanations on a wiki page somewhere (coding style/standards,
etc)? Perhaps instead of this page
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Coding_Style_Guide pointing to a PDF, the PDF
contents should be moved to be the contents of the wiki page itself so that
something like this Get/Compute/Generate/Calculate can be added after a
discussion like this?

David