[Insight-developers] Why are the PadImageFilters so complicated?

Jim Miller millerjv at ge.com
Thu May 26 09:48:46 EDT 2011

I expect the complexity is warranted.  But there is probably room to improve. I expect mirroring is the most complicated. While the operations of pad and mirror sound simple, to properly support streaming in these filters is pretty complicated. At is simpliest, for any request for a region on the output, the algorithm needs to map that region to the appropriate region on the input.

These filters were also written very early on in ITK history. There are probably a few concepts that were introduced afterwards that would have made those filters easier to write (things like line iterators and reverse iterators).

Jim