[Insight-developers] HDF5 Transform I/O Again -- definitions of fixed/moving parameters

Williams, Norman K norman-k-williams at uiowa.edu
Wed Mar 30 15:00:53 EDT 2011

I spent a couple of hours reading source code today to come up with a
single document describing what the Transform classes do with their
parameters & fixed parameters.  Since I'm not sure how -- or where -- it
should go in the ITK Wiki I put it in a Google Doc file:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1zgOCVJ5s6R4rBCK56GS5B_9eVQrBCslNAj
WGviA2yOU

The goal is to write a more useful representations of transforms into the
HDF5 file.  Right now each transform is represented thusly:

 /TransformGroup
 /TransformGroup/N/TransformType            -- string
 /TransformGroup/N/TransformFixedParameters -- list of double
 /TransformGroup/N//TransformParameters     -- list of double

Where I'm thinking would be good would be something like

 /TransformGroup/N/TransformType            -- string
 /TransformGroup/N/TransformRepresentation  -- 'generic' or 'native'
    <native transform representation>

For example:

  /TransformGroup/0/TransformType "AffineTransform_double_4_4"
  /TransformGroup/0/TransformRepresentation "native"
  /TransformGroup/0/Rotation [ [1 0 0 0], [0 1 0 0], [0 0 1 0], [0 0 0 1] ]
  /TransformGroup/0/Translation [ 0 0 0 ]
  /TransformGroup/0/CenterOfRotation [0 0 0]

This would make it possible to, from any language with an HDF5 binding,
write out a transform in an understandable format instead of by reading
the ITK source to reverse engineer the meanings of the parameters & fixed
parameters.

What I'd like to get is some feedback on the layout in HD5, as it needs to
be consistent and documented to be of much use.