[Insight-developers] GDCM empty cxx files

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:06:40 EDT 2011

Mathieu,

Several files including gdcmObject.cxx have no code in them. Your comment in
gdcmObject.cxx says:
  // Don't ask why, but this is EXTREMELY important on Win32
  // Apparently the compiler is doing something special the first time it
compiles
  // this instanciation unit
  // If this fake file is not present I get an unresolved symbol for each
function
  // of the gdcm::Object class

When linking these "empty" files, VS10 reports several warnings:
 warning LNK4221: This object file does not define any previously undefined
public symbols, so it will not be used by any link operation that consumes
this library

I have removed this file from the lib as well as
gdcmProgressEvent.cxx, gdcmString.cxx, gdcmException.cxx
gdcmDeflateStream.cxx and gdcmByteSwap.cxx

When I build the modified lib, I do not get the warnoings, nor do I get any
errors.

What compiler was giving the errors you mention in the comments?

Bill