[Insight-developers] git log automatic "--follow"

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Mar 22 10:39:22 EDT 2011

On 03/21/2011 04:52 PM, Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
> As the very useful commit message says:
>
> Rename the files without modification to preserve enough information for
>     "git blame -M" and "git log --follow" to connect moved files to their
>     old location and history.

I'm glad you find that note useful.  I knew that lots of people would
end up logging back to the mass rename commits and wonder how to see
the rest of the history ;)

I think "git blame" will follow the renames without using -M but I have
not checked whether that depends on a recent Git or not.

> I am wondering if there is a way to turn these options on by default in
> my config for ITK. The "Configuration" section of man git-log did not
> reveal what I was looking for.

The --follow option works only when logging a single file so it does not
make sense to add it all the time.  You could create an alias:

  git config alias.logfile "log --follow"

and then use

  git logfile some/file.txt

-Brad K