[Insight-developers] proposal: remove the gdcm build options from ITK

Alexandre GOUAILLARD agouaillard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 10:29:34 EST 2011

hi

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Mark Roden <mmroden at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Previously, there were itk-gdcm specific tests, that could be run by typing
>
> ctest -R itkGDCM
>
> Those tests are no longer present since modularization.  I do not know
> if they have been removed because they don't match the expectations of
> the new scheme, or as an oversight, or if the gdcm_build_tests cmake
> flag was supposed to cover it.  I'm putting this discussion on the
> insight developers list as a result, so that perhaps I can get some
> feedback on that.

I'm checking that right now.

> Personally, I think that we should just have the itk gdcm tests back,
> and not have the same coverage as the rest of gdcm.  ITK devs, at
> least for the moment, don't need a complete tag editing solution, they
> need to be able to read and write various forms of image data.  I'm
> fairly certain that the previous test suite covered those cases.

We have to be positive.

> The testing data size is a few megs, so not a big deal, and it's
> retrieved through a git submodule init call in the gdcm root
> directory.  That is a bit of a pain for deployment purposes, because
> it means that any user who wants to use gdcm has to get a particular
> set of images for testing, and they have to use a series of
> non-obvious steps to get those images and set up the testing directory
> (which is, as I said, currently blank).  I suppose that could be done
> through the setupfordevelopment script, but that seems like overkill,
> especially if the older itkgdcm tests did the job.

That sounds good, the actual testing/data is also retrieved thourgh a
git submodule mechanism, so I guess, if we were to decide to take in
the gdcm tests, there is no show stopper. We need to investigate if
that s really what we want / need to do. i.e. we need to have a list
of gdcm features available in ITK proper.

alex.