[Insight-developers] USE_EXTERNAL cmake flag

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Thu Jun 23 03:59:43 EDT 2011

Le 23 juin 11 à 06:58, Alexandre GOUAILLARD a écrit :

> gaetan,

Hi Alex,

> I just saw two new variables in ITK cmake configuration:
> ZLIB_USE_EXTERNAL and SZIP_USE_EXTERNAL.
>
> As we are using external for GCC_XML and we are planning to do so for
> swig as well, would it be interesting for us to do the same thing?

I think we are doing that already for gccxml, and will do that for
swig as well.

> A global question now, there are now three ways of including
> external libs:
> - getting the included ThirdParty Module when available
> - using a system install
> - using the external_project feature of cmake.
>

> what is the rationale when choosing between one or the other?
> Should we support all of them ?
> I remember that the rules about having ThirdParty modules are very
> clear (Licence, size, ...)
> Now the SYSTEM part is almost clear to me :-)
> But what about choosing between SYSTEM and external?

The external project is nice to simplify the user experience: he/she
doesn't have to install a dependency if it is not installed on its
computer. If the dependency is already installed, then it's better to
simply use it.

I can't say when it's best to choose a ThirdParty module or an
external project.

Maybe a cmake expert can help!

Gaëtan

--