[Insight-developers] git gerrit-merge trouble

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Jul 27 06:24:20 EDT 2011

If you push it back one last time as a new patch set, then the merge
should work after that.

It can't do the merge because you've never pushed your rebased
changes. (It may be an "equivalent change" commit to the previous
patch set, but it is a different commit object with a different
hash...)

After you push, it would be a fast-forward merge.

As it stands now, you're attempting to merge a new commit that has
never been seen anywhere but your local repo before...

We should never, ever attempt to merge a rebase or cherry-pick without
pushing it up as a new patch set first. (The act of re-basing or
cherry-picking may produce different results than your last patch set
due to interactions with other code that you have just rebased or
cherry-picked onto, so one last patch set *should* be pushed and allow
the robot builds to do one last check of it before merging to be
ultra-safe...)

HTH,
David