[Insight-developers] Nonunit module dependency

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 17:21:52 EDT 2011

When trying to build some very simple code (below) that simply creates and
image and writes it with an ImageFileWriter, I get:

CMakeFiles/ImageFunctionImageFilter.dir/ImageFunctionImageFilter.cxx.o:(.data+0x50):
undefined reference to `itk::MRCImageIOFactoryRegister__Private()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I had built ITK with ITKGroup_Core and ITKGroup_IO ON. Once I turned
on ITKGroup_Nonunit, my code built fine.

1) Is there a reason for this dependency?

2) If so, could there be a better way to identify that a module is missing?
The link from the error "MRCImageIOFactoryRegister__Private" to the solution
of "turn on ITKGroup_Nonunit" is non-obvious.

David

(This is the code I used to test this:)

#include "itkImage.h"
#include "itkImageFileWriter.h"

typedef itk::Image< unsigned char, 2 > UnsignedCharImageType;

int main(int, char* [] )
{
  UnsignedCharImageType::Pointer image = UnsignedCharImageType::New();

  typedef  itk::ImageFileWriter< UnsignedCharImageType > WriterType;
  WriterType::Pointer writer = WriterType::New();
  writer->SetFileName("ImageFunctionImageFilter.mhd");
  writer->SetInput(image);
  writer->Update();

  return 0;
}